Under 16 Gaelic Football; Dublin Quarter Final

O’Connells 0-13 ; Greenhills 4-6

Sadly it proved to be a bridge too far for the O’Connell’s boys who lost out in a tense quarter final in Walkinstown on a crisp Thursday afternoon.

Confidence was high among the squad going into the game as O’Connells had topped their group with all 6 points secured from their three group fixtures.  However it was Greenhills who started the brighter with a point inside the first 2 minutes of the game. O’Connells responded well with scores from Peter Carr and Mark Corcoran but the concession of an early goal left the scores at 1-3 to 0-3 after 15 minutes. Ciaran Burnett, kept his recent good form up in front of the posts with a well taken point and team Captain Dean Murphy added another before a fluke goal by Greenhills rocked the O’Connells boys once again. Again the lads dug deep. Tyler Cumberton pulled off two great saves in goals and Adam Kavanagh, Craig Fagan and Peter Carr began to control things around the middle. O’Connells kept knocking over the points to leave the scores  2-3 to 0-6 at half time.

After a stirring speech from Bainisteoir Miss Shanahan the boys entered the second half with renewed confidence and had a blistering start. 3 points inside the first 3 minutes of the resumption meant that the sides were level. However this was as close as the lads would get to Greenhills who knocked over a free minutes later. Try as they might O’Connells could not peg back their opponents despite the best efforts of Calvin Kanda, who was outstading in defence. Greenhills managed to keep their noses in front and when Ciaran Burnett smashed the ball off the Greenhills crossbar it seemed it wasn’t to be O’Connells day.

Despite dominating possession for most of the game the boys couldn’t get the goal they desperately needed. O’Connells kept plugging away with Peter Carr and Craig Fagan to the fore. The loss of Dylan Gifford to injury in the second half, who was having a fine game, proved costly.  A sucker punch of a goal with 12 minutes remaining coupled with a last minute goal by Greenhills sealed O’Connels fate.

However the boys can hold their heads high in the knowledge that they battled right to the end and represented the school with distinction. Man of the match for O’Connells was Craig Fagan who worked tirelessly throughout.

The school would like to thank all players, Ms Shanahan and Mr Devine for their efforts throughout the season. Sadly it wasn’t to be.


Mark Corcoran 0-5 (2 frees), Dean Murphy 0-4 (3 frees), Peter 0-3, Ciaran Burnett 0-1